Homemade Glue for Early Education Learners
Glue is a staple tool in the craft makers toolbox. Did you know that you’ve probably got all the ingredients you need to make your own glue that’s both safe and edible? With four main ingredients, a little bit of time, and some stirring you’ll soon realise that you might never have to buy glue again! Be aware though, that this recipe requires a stove top, so while you are stirring the glue together make the best of that time explaining that some substances change their consistency when heat is applied: a bit like ice! Read on to learn how you can make your own glue today! For the printable version click here.
- 1 cup cornflour or cornstarch
- 1 tblspn of white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 4 cups of hot water
1. Place all ingredients into a medium saucepan and stir with a whisk. Continue stirring until the mixture is milky and there are no lumps
2. Bring the mixture to a boil
3. Within a few minutes, you will notice the mixture will thicken within a few minutes of boiling
4. Once the mixture starts to look translucent and is harder to stir, remove it from the heat and leave to cool
5. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate
6. After a while, the mixture will look like a tough jelly: to reheat simple add some hot water to the kettle and stir until it looks like the glue you’ve come to know and love!