A sweet treat that incorporates a serve of legumes.
Makes approx. 15-20 cookies
½ cup brown sugar
75g butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla
1 medium egg
1 tin chickpeas, drained and mashed/pureed
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup shredded or desiccated coconut
½ cup walnuts, crushed
½ cup plain flour
½ cup wholemeal flour
¾ cup rolled oats
1.5 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and line a tray with baking paper.
- Cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add vanilla essence and egg and mix well.
- Add mashed chickpeas, cranberries, coconut, walnuts, flours, oats and baking powder and mix until all is combined.
- Spoon tablespoons of the dough on to the baking tray, evenly spaced (they do not spread a lot). Flatten with a fork
- Bake biscuits for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving, or store in an airtight container.
Notes & Tips
- These biscuits do not freeze well
- The additional of legumes, oats and wholemeal flour increases the fibre content.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Good nutrition is essential for the health and wellbeing of young children. We are proud to partner with NAQ Nutrition, the Qld Division of Nutrition Australia, by producing recipes that are healthy, delicious and aligned with the Australian Dietary Guidelines.